Jun 11, 2011

Step 1 - The Slab

So I am going to show you how I make a finished cabochon.  Sometimes I actually go out in the wild and find my own rough rock, but for this I am going to start with an already cut slab.  This is a custom order of Mojave Turquoise.  It has been stabilized.  (All turquoise in jewelry has been stabilized.  Otherwise, it is too soft to work with.)  This has had veins of bronze added and the effect is beautiful!  But right now, just the slab.



And this is it with a rough shape.




Up next, different grinding grits!



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations for your beautiful work ...
    I liked the effect of bronze ... Cheers.
    Carlos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The turquoise is exquisite! I can think of so many things I would make with it. I love the bronze veining; it really makes it 'pop.' Diane Catcophony Wearable Art http://catcophony.artfire.com

    ReplyDelete